This collection of reflections offers simple prayers & meditations as well as beautiful quotes from many saints and heroes. It offers serenity & joy to a reader's heart promotes courage, creativity, healthy living, & trust in one's innate value.
Calendula is an easy-to-grow flower that has both beauty and medicinal values. Also, they are edible and can be eaten in salads & other food preparations. In the American Civil War the leaves were used on the battlefield to treat open wounds. In India, wreaths of marigolds were placed around the necks of gods and goddesses.
|Scientific Name||Calendula officinalis|
|Parts Used||Flower, fresh or dried|
|When to plant||early Spring to Summer|
|Flowering Period||Summer to Fall|
|How to Plant||From seed, into soil; ground, pots, windowsill; 1/4 " under soil, 6-12 " apart; likes sun & shade; pH 6.6; Likes moisture|
* High in flavonoids (reduce free radicals in body).
* Add petals to salads
* Add petals to oil/vinegar and make salad dressing.
* Add to rice dishes for lovely color.
* Add to desserts for lovely color.
* Antiseptic - helps skin irritation, cuts, wounds & speeds healing of skin wounds.
* Sedative effect.
* Eye wash (tea form).
* Mouth wash for oral ulcers (tea form).
* Soothes ulcers or upset stomach (tea form).
* The sap from the stem can remove warts, corns, and callouses.
* Helps to treat varicose veins.
HARVESTING THE FLOWERS
* Harvest the flowers in morning, when they are fully flowered
* Simply pick the flower petals
* 4 days later, there should be new flowers to harvest
* Place them on screens to dry them if you would like.
* Once dried, you can store them in jars, in a cool dark place.
* Varicose veins.
* Slugs love them. Hand remove them at night.
* Blackfly in late season. Brush the flies and treat infected areas with neem oil, soap, and water blended.
* If they grow mildew on them, remove and burn those leaves.
* May affect menstruation & ability to get pregnant, so do not use calendula when pregnant or trying to be pregnant.
The information provided should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. Talk to your health care provider before taking any prescription or over the counter drugs (including any herbal medicines or supplements) or following any treatment or regimen.